now browsing by category
I spent much of the afternoon getting re-acquainted with my ColecoVision. I captured some footage, particularly of some crazy moments in Centipede when the gameplay gets crazy, and some really bad gameplay of Donkey Kong Jr. Also there are some clips of Popeye and Space Fury – which my son hates the music. Enjoy!
Hey there, I’m currently working on a very involved video about the ColecoVision – specifically my experiences with the system. So far it’s coming along really well but there are few games I need to complete the story. They include:
- Front Line
- Lady Bug
There are other ones I need, but these will complete the major part of the story. I also need the ColecoVision Expansion Module 1 (the Atari 2600 adaptor), and a registration card that originally came with the system.
If you stumble on any of these items for cheap please let me know!
I’ve finally decided to repair my ColecoVision!
I have several neat memories about the ColecoVision but I’ll save them for later. For now let me get you up to date on this beast. About 5 or 6 months ago I won this ColecoVision on eBay. I knew full well it was broken but it has only been recently that I have decided to repair it.
The original auction explained that the system turned on but it wouldn’t read games because of a broken pin in the edge connector. Easy peasy right? Well sorta, I did a McGyver manuver and soldered a tiny wire from the bottom of the pin connector and bent a thicker piece of wire where the missing pin was. It worked, but it was only a temporary solution. I knew the edge connector would have to be replaced.
Since I decided to take the steps to repair it, I decided to do two other things. The first would be to clean the rust off the RF shielding. The first time I opened the system I was really disappointed by the amount of water damage the unit had suffered. Not only was the RF shielding rusted but the mother board had some rust as well! The games that came with the system had water damage on the labels as well. I don’t think the unit was submerged, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was left in a damp dank basement.
The second thing I did was to install an AV composite video and audio mod. The traditional RF plug is fine but is not convinient for newer TV’s. Benheck.com has a nice and easy ColecoVision video mod. I used Ben’s mod on three Atari’s and they came out great, so I figured I couldn’t go wrong by him.
You can see plenty of rust in the shielding. You can also see the temporary fix for the edge connector.
The guts of the system. Under the lid of that silver box rests the RF modulator. Here is where the mod occurs.
I decided to drown the rusted shielding in sme CLR. It didn’t remove anything, but some Comet cleanser and a sponge did quite well.
And kablammo! The AV mod works. It didn’t at first, but suddenly it started working for no apparent reason. I therefore have nothing to complain about.
And finally here is some footage of the mod in action. The edge connector is coming this week so hopefully I’ll get this ColecoVision back together soon and play some Front Line!